FUN! We use the word all the time in kids’ ministry. We want our kids to have a fun time, doing fun activities. This is because when they are happy and absorbed, they will learn more quickly and remember more effectively. And, of course, they will want to come back next week.
Never wanting to over use any word, We were looking recently for alternatives. But somehow they didn’t seem to work the same! Congenial, amusing, diverting, jolly – none of them seems to hit the nail completely on the head. And none of them would be clearly understood by children.
We came to the conclusion that “fun” is a word kids understand very well. They may not be able to define it, but they surely know when they are enjoying it!
Naturally, there will be solemn times as we teach our clubs and classes. There will be rules and responsibilities for the children. But if the overwhelming thought they have as they leave our care is not “What a fun time I’ve had!” can we expect them to return of their own accord?
A fun time means :
- A pleasant, friendly atmosphere where each child knows he or she is welcomed, appreciated and valued.
- Activities which engage their interests and gives them space to stretch their creativity and hone their skills.
- Children learning something without necessarily feeling it was an effort.
- No boredom, but a varied program with some surprises.
- Friendship and fellowship at a spiritual as well as a natural level.
What would you add to the list? How would you define “fun”.
What suggestions would you have for ensuring that the time the children spend in your care is a fun time? We’d love to know your thoughts! So feel free to add a comment below.