The blog post I am referring to is seminar notes and a wealth of resources from Steven Kryger at communic8jesus.com.
We need to hear again the 13 key points that Steven lists.
- Identify and communicate your values
- Model these values
- Introduce your children to technology
- Understand the mediums
- Use anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-malware software
- Use accountability software and filters
- Know what your children are doing
- Keep communication lines open
- Be proactive in teaching your children
- Develop a set of family rules
- Encourage them to visit safe places online
- Pray for your children, and children everywhere
- Be gracious when they stuff up
After these very practical guidelines Steven offers tested solutions which may be of help to you or parents you know.
There are links to online resources for parents, also for those who teach children and teens. There are also links to accountability and filtering software. A section on pornography rounds off a thorough and thoughtful post. That link once again…